When was the last time you went to the Dentist? I'm afraid of the dentist. For me its been like 2 years now, I think its time I visit again.
I do strongly recommend that you visit a dentist once you notice you have tartar or calculus on your teeth. I am glad the dentist told me that I have gingivitis. Gingivitis is the mildest form of periodontal disease. It causes the gums to become red, swollen, and bleed easily. No wonder my gums bleed every time I brush my teeth. Gingivitis is often caused by inadequate oral hygiene. I have to confess I am lazy and I don't brush my teeth often.
How can I tell if I have gum disease?
The symptoms of gingivitis
- Bad breath that won't go away
- Red or swollen gums
- Tender or bleeding gums
- Painful chewing
- Loose or separating teeth
- Sensitive teeth
- Receding gyns ir kibger aooearubg teetg
- Bleeding while brushing, flossing or eating
- A change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite
- A change in the fit of partial dentures
Here are the 6 step guide to keep your gums healthy.
1. Remember to brush teeth twice a day for 2 minutes. Use a toothpaste that is formulated to help keep gums healthy and contains fluoride to help protect against tooth decay.
2. Use a toothbrush with a small head and soft end- rounded bristles
3. Use either floss or interdental brushes to clean the space between teeth where plaque bacteria can hide. Most important is to floss your teeth. So now I floss after my meals.
- Take about 18 inches of floss and loosely wrap most of it around each middle finger
- Gently slide it down between your teeth while being careful not to snap it down on the gums
- Curve the floss around each tooth in a " C " shape and gently move it up and down the sides of each tooth including under gumline.
I am using Oral- B Satin Floss 50m Mint ( the best dental floss )
I tried Oral-B Satin Floss and all my problems were solved. This floss is not designed like the average floss, it's smooth and thin, and slides very easy between each and every teeth with ease. Other flosses I've used were rope like and would get hung up and I'd pull and pull trying to work it in between my teeth and time after time it would break or come apart. Not Oral-B Satin, this floss has a light layer of sweet wax that tastes good and leaves teeth and breath feeling very clean. If you have teeth that are very close together I recommend this floss. It's a new way to floss without the headache. The container is small and always in my handbag when I move around.
4. Use an antibacterial fluoride mouthwash consult your dentist if you need a mouthwash to maintain healthy gums and protect against tooth decay.
- Currently I am using Colgate Plax Mouthwash
5. Quit smoking. Smoking is a major risk factor for periodontitis.
6. Visit your dentist and hygienist regularly.
Well, after thousands spent on a root canal, followed by hundreds on getting deep cleaning for hours for my entire mouth, plus the plaque + cavities...YEAH, YOU BET I DO IT NOW.
++ If you are bored while waiting for your turn bring along your gadgets, free WI-FI available.
PENANG DENTAL SURGERY
287, Burmah Road,
Pulau Tikus 10350 Penang,
: (604) 226 2440
: (604) 229 2440
Monday – Saturday from 9.00am to 5.00pm
(Lunch hour 1.00pm to 2.00pm)
CLOSED on Sundays and Public Holidays
Dr. Tan Yu Joo
Dr. Lim Wooi Teong
Dr. Lam Chooi Mii